Saturday, March 17, 2012

Issue #3

Happy Deepavali
05 November 2010

Julia Roberts, the American actress, was quoted as saying that she thinks the whole world should celebrate the Hindu Festival of Light.
She said: "Diwali should be celebrated unanimously throughout the world as a gesture of goodwill. It not only belongs to Hinduism but is universal in nature and in its essence too. Diwali ignites the values of self-confidence, love for humanity, peace, prosperity and above all eternity which goes beyond all mortal factors."

It made me feel lucky to live in Singapore. Deepavali is one of the eleven major public holidays celebrated here. These holidays reflect the cultural and religious diversity of this country and include Chinese New Year, the Buddhist holiday Vesak Day, the Muslim holidays Hari Raya Puasa and Hari Raya Haji, as well as the Christian holidays of Christmas Day and Good Friday.

As I mentioned in my first issue, many people think of Singapore as not truly Asian, "Asia-lite", as some put it. Trying to buy a semi-permanent hair colour in a lighter shade (golden brown) has assured me that I am truly in Asia. Not since living in Japan have I had difficulty with this fairly mundane task.


Thank you to Madan Rao for the photo of Deepavali in Bangalore.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your feedback!